Benton County, Iowa Genealogy
Benton County, Iowa genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information that can help you trace your Benton Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Benton County was established on December 21, 1837 (organized in 1846) from Dubuque County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Hart Benton, a senator from Missouri who pushed for westward expansion of the United States, colonel in the War of 1812
The County Seat is located in Vinton and the county government website is http://www.cobentoniaus.com/
Areas adjacent to Benton County are Black Hawk County (northwest), Buchanan County (northeast), Linn County (east), Iowa County (south), Tama County (west)
Cities and towns located in the county include Atkins, Belle Plaine, Blairstown, Garrison, Keystone, Luzerne, Mount Auburn, Newhall, Norway, Shellsburg, Urbana, Van Horne, Vinton, Walford.
Townships Include Benton, Big Grove, Bruce, Canton, Cedar, City of Belle Plaine, City of Shellsburg, City of Vinton, Eden, Eldorado, Florence, Fremont, Harrison, Homer, Iowa, Jackson, Kane, Leroy, Monroe, Polk, Saint Clair, Taylor, Union.
Benton County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Benton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Iowa Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Benton County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget the importance of Benton County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy and family history information and facts. Buried away in Iowa courthouses and archives everywhere could be the desires and frustrations of countless Iowa residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Benton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will help persons in locating the materials, but it's up to the person to undertake the basic research.
The following details shows what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records will be in Benton County. The years indicated below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county. The Courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1853. The county records were rescued by three courageous men who were seriously burned and died from their injuries three months after the blaze.
Benton County was attached to Jackson County and Linn County prior to organization March 1, 1846
- Benton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 E 4th St, Vinton, IA 52349
- Phone: (319) 472-2766
- Benton County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1847
- Benton County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1856
- Court Records: 1860
- Benton County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
- Iowa Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Iowa Historical Records
- Databases include Iowa Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Iowa Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Iowa Voter Lists & Census Records; Iowa Immigration & Emigration Records; Iowa Obituary Records; Iowa Military Records; Iowa Family Tree Records; Iowa Pictures; Iowa Stories, Memories & Histories; Iowa Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Benton County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Benton County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Benton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Benton Co. IA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Benton Co. IA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Iowa
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 - 1900 (archives.com)
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008 (archives.com)
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950 (familysearch.org) Name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Iowa. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935 (familysearch.org) Index to the birth records created by the counties of Iowa. Additional records will be added as they are completed.
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900 (search.ancestry.com) Taken from microfilm copies of original county documents, each record provides spouses' names, marriage date, and county of residence. Records vary between counties.
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 (familysearch.org) Name indexes for county marriages in Iowa. Additional records will be added as they are completed.
- Iowa Marriages to 1850 (search.ancestry.com) This database of Iowa marriages to 1850 contains over 21,000 names. Each entry includes groom, bride, marriage date, county, and state. Every name is indexed so you can search for one name, or two names that are linked.
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Iowa. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Benton Co. IA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Benton Co. IA Census Records
- See Also Statewide Census Links for Iowa
- Benton County, IA Census Records (census-online.com)
- Iowa Census Images Project (iagenweb.org)
- Iowa State Census Collection, 1836-1925 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains Iowa state censuses for the following years: 1856, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, and 1925. It also includes some head of household censuses and other special censuses from 1836-1897. Information available for an individual will vary according to the census year and the information requested on the census form. Some of the information contained in this database though includes: name, age, gender, race, birthplace, marital status, and place of enumeration.
- Benton County, IA Census QuickFacts (quickfacts.census.gov)
- Benton County Census Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Iowa Census, 1838-70 (search.ancestry.com) This collection contains the following indexes: 1838 Territorial Census; 1840 Federal Census Index; 1840 Pensioners List; 1841-1849 Tax Lists; 1850 Federal Census Index; 1851 State Census Index; 1852 State Census Index; 1860 Federal Census Index; 1870 Federal Census Index.
Benton Co. IA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Benton Co. IA Church & Bible Records
Benton Co. IA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Benton Co. IA General and History Websites
Benton Co. IA Immigration & Naturalization
Benton Co. IA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Benton Co. IA Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Links for Iowa
- Iowa Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Iowa both males and females which served. Just the thing for Benton County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
- Iowa Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, 1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains a list of ex-soldiers, sailors, and marines who were living in Iowa in 1885.
Benton Co. IA Schools & Directories
- Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1884-1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains the 1884-85 Iowa gazetteer and business directory. The gazetteer covers each city, town, village, and settlement in Iowa and includes a description of each place and a directory of the people engaged in business or the professions located there.